Sunday, January 27, 2019

Edpuzzle

This is the video I have created with Edpuzzle. https://edpuzzle.com/media/5c56e34769ce6040fed59b45
I have chosen this video due to the topic as it has to do with my students are currently working on “crime” vocabulary. It focuses on the issues which concern society deeply: bullying, and it is very “visual”. Unfortunately, there have been several cases in the school. Thus, I think it posed the ideal excuse for them to engage in current affairs.
As homework, I told my students to watch it (I gave them the link and the code: https://edpuzzle.com/join/losolec
losolec

The objectives intended to be achieved were:

To make students work autonomously at home.
To review vocabulary related to crimes.
To learn and use vocabulary related to bullying in real communicative situations.

The task was clear: watch the video, identify the topic, and write down the expressions which mostly caught their attention so as to look them up in the dictionary.

I felt quite disappointed since just one girl did as I had told them, so my first attempt of “flipped classroom” was a failure.  Without my help, my student was not able to give many right answers during the while-listening, even though she tried several times. Honestly, I chose this clip because the end could be foreseeable and it had subtitles. However, the version I gave my students with the questions had no subtitles at all and I do not know why.

As a pre-listening activity they had to recognize crimes that teens usually commit.
 As I said before, the quiz feature allowed me to embed multiple-choice and open questions so that students could watch the video and answer them at the same time. Likewise, progress and time could be checked.

In the computers lab, students worked individually. I paused the viewing and gave them some tips and clues regarding the understanding. It is true that I could have recorded my voice and give specific instructions but I discarded the idea because I did not feel comfortable.

The post listening task was devised to start a discussion in class about the answers given: The follow- up question was: “What would you do now?” Some did not answer, others said things like: “cry and talk with my mother”, “tell a teacher and a friend”, or “I hit him”. They cast a vote on the best one (the second option), and wrote the reason why they would tell a teacher and a friend. Online dictionaries could be used.

On the whole, I am not quite happy with the activity (my mistake), I could have done better (hard week and not enough preparation), but right now I do not think Edpuzzle is a great thing, maybe because due to the features of the students at IES Ciudad de Las Cabezas (you have to make the most of your 60 minutes since just a few work at home regularly). Some colleagues have already tried flipped lessons and they have not succeeded either.
When asked about the topic “bullying” they said it was ok because it is familiar, but listening activities are hard without subtitles or tape scripts.

No comments: